Asteroid Day, the UN sanctioned day of education to raise awareness about asteroids, is inviting the public to join in a global conversation to protect humanity from asteroid impacts and facilitate future exploration. This conversation begins the week of June 26 and runs through June 30, Asteroid Day worldwide.
Almost 1,000 events are being planned for Asteroid Day to meet the UN goal of global education, doubling the number from one year ago and four times as many as the the inaugural Asteroid Day in 2015. Major television networks, including Discovery Channel have produced specials about asteroids, including a new virtual reality presentation which can be viewed on smartphones and other mobile devices.
24-HOUR LIVE BROADCASTS
Program Schedule, here.
Asteroid Day is producing the first ever 24-hour live broadcast about space and the role of asteroids in our solar system. Asteroid Day LIVE (#AsteroidDayLive) will be hosted by British physicist, author and BBC commentator Brian Cox with guests, including Astronauts Rusty Schweickart, Dr. Ed Lu, Nicole Stott, Jean-François Clervoy, and Dorin Prunariu, Astrophysicists and Planetary Scientists Susan McKenna-Lawlor, Julia De Leon, Mark Boslough, Patrick Michel, Owner and CEO OHB SE Marco Fuchs, and Deputy Prime Minister of Luxembourg Etienne Schneider. Scott Manley will be moderating our chat between 8-10AM PDT on June 30 via Twitch
Asteroid Day LIVE will be distributed globally on June 30, via a SES satellite network and available on various local channels subscribing to the SES satellite network, and the Asteroid Day website. Media can download the feed from satellite or request streaming access from Asteroid Day. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org The global broadcast schedule for your area can be found at this link.
HOW TO LEARN ABOUT ASTEROIDS
- Asteroid Day 24 hour broadcast
- Important Asteroid-related Missions
FILMS AND PROGRAMMING
HOW TO PARTICIPATE IN THE GLOBAL CONVERSATION ABOUT ASTEROIDS
- Stream the 24-hour live broadcast (if you want to stream the feed via your own platform then please contact Grig@asteroidday.org for RTMP access)
- Join us in the Asteroid Day conversation via Social Media:
- Twitter: @asteroidday #AsteroidDay, #AsteroidDayLive;
Facebook: www.facebook.com/AsteroidDay #AsteroidDay, #AsteroidDayLive
- Twitch: Scott Manley will be moderating the discussion between 8-10a, PDT on June 30 via Twitch
- Reporters: Submit questions during the the broadcast using the Hashtag: #AsteroidDayLive and we will try to answer them on air.
Press release by Asteroid Day
Photo Credit: Max Alexander/Asteroid Day